The Brain

I am fascinated by the brain, brain1.jpgthis lump of ‘matter’ allows us to see, to make decisions, to coordinate our movements, to learn, to feel and to develop new skills.


My fascination with this started many years ago when I was training as an Occupational Therapist. We had a lecture on stroke patients, and the changes in personality that some people had following a stroke. Quiet timid people became loud and abrasive. Risk takers suddenly couldn't make decisions. We were shown the brain and discussed the anatomy around this.


Fast forward a fair few years, and I find myself just as interested, particularly in relation to learning. There was a BBC programme by Dr David Eagleman, an American Neuroscientist. The series isn't available anymore, but these short clips give an insight. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06yjrdp .

His book is completely brilliant. It is easy to read, has diagrams of really complex concepts that make sense, and I find myself having ‘wow’ moments all the time, I really recommend adding this to your reading list! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brain-Story-You-David-Eagleman/dp/1782116613/ref=sr_1_1_twi_pap_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488710201&sr=8-1&keywords=the+brain

Comments