To Rota Or Nor To Rota?

One of the last things that I do before I end my work day is glance at my diary to make sure that I am prepared for the next day, and that I know where I need to be! I am sure many of us rely on technology for calendars and alerts to get us where we need to be at the right time.

rota.pngIt made me think about the importance of preparing information for the teams that we work with ahead of time. When I was in the classroom full time, I quickly realised that a timetable for all the jobs and responsibilities was essential. I avoided it to begin with as I didn't want to seem to ‘micro manage’ all parts of the day, but them realised, it wasn’t micromanaging, but being organised. It also meant that there was a fair spread of all the jobs. In an SEN classroom there is often lots of toileting and washing up, and it is great for team moral that this is shared. I also ensured that the planning for the week was on the notice board and that everyone knew what was planned for the week, especially for trips and outings.

Team working is really hard at times, especially for a new teacher. You have the responsibility of the children, the expectation of their parents and often one or more other adults that you are needing to utilise. Make life easy for yourself, and everyone in your team, and put a rota on the board, you should find your day runs a lot smoother, and make sure your name is on it too!

These are things that I used to put on the rota:
Toileting
Writing communication books
Lunch and play duties
Re-stocking the cupboards (snack, stationary, gloves and wet wipes)
Setting up the outside area

Comments